Friday, December 21, 2012

"Look for the helpers..."




This is always a very busy and hectic time of year, but normally, a happy and joyous one, too.  This year, however, with the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut one week ago today, it's been a confusing time of celebration mixed with unspeakable grief.

Let's commit to pay tribute to the 26 angels of Sandy Hook Elementary School by each of us doing something kind for someone else today.  Whether it's a small act or a large one, show someone a kindness you ordinarily would not stop and think to do and let that act be in honor of those we lost one week ago today.



I came across this quote from, of all people, Mr. Rogers, that I thought was beautiful and very true.


“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
-Mr. Rogers



The news is always difficult to watch as it seems there is so much more bad than good being reported.  It's been bad before, it was so much worse than usual last week and there will continue to be upsetting reports bombarding us from what seems like every direction.  But let's try to keep those simple yet profound words of wisdom in mind and "look for the helpers" - the good people (or animals, in the case of the therapy "comfort dogs") that always step up and appear in these stories.  


                Let us focus not on the villains, but on the heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments!